At the corner of Don Apolinar Velez and Archbishop Santiago Hayes streets stands an unimposing two story brick building which has withstood ravages of time, the Philippine Revolution, the Philippine-American War, and World War II.

It’s perhaps unfortunate how today, despite the quantum gains made by modern communications, few of Cagayan de Oro City’s growing populace are aware it’s now the city’s oldest surviving residence and has quite a history behind it.

Known to local history buffs as Casa del Chino Ygua*, it has been recognized as a historically significant structure by the National Historical Institute of the Philippines (now the National Historical Commission of the Philippines or NHCP), as confirmed by the NHI marker installed there in April 7, 2000, the Centennial of the Battle of Cagayan, also known as Siete de Abril.

A reproduction of the Casa del Chino Ygua lithograph from XU Archives and Museo de Oro. Ygua is the 4th from left. Restored by Ladysoda.PH

According to local historian Antonio Julian Roa Montalvan II, the house was built by Sia Ygua, a resident of Amoy (present day Xiamen) a city in the province of Fukien (now Fujian). Ygua is recorded as the earliest Chinese to have settled in Cagayan. While Amoy was an exit port, most of the Chinese who migrated outside the region came from Yueyang and Fujian but Ygua was really a native of Amoy. (Montalvan, 2004)

In a manuscript transcribed from Sia family records by Sean Benson L. Sia, a 4th generation descendant of Ygua, he writes how his great grandfather arrived in Cagayan de Misamis (as Cagayan de Oro was then known) in 1854 and opened his business in 1857.

Named “Tong Joo” after his second son, it was a typical trading post that dealt in indigenous products like copra, tobacco, abaca and the like. The business prospered and soon expanded to the nearby towns. In time it became one of the largest business establishments in the area (Sia, 2004)

The St. Agustin Church as it looked during the time of Sia Ygua.
(image courtesy of XU Museo de Oro)

According to a short account of the house written by the late Fr. Francisco Demetrio, S.J. in his publication Cagayan (1971), Ygua became friends with the Recollect priests of the nearby San Agustin church. Due to his industry, and the help given him by the fathers, he gradually amassed a fortune.

Like most Chinese who settled in Cagayan, he took active part in civic and public life. He was known for his good heartedness. It is said that when he died, practically everyone in Cagayan wore black in mourning (Demetrio, 1971).

Ygua built his residence in 1882 at a time when the running conflicts between Moros in Sulu and Cotabato and the Spanish regime in Mindanao and the Visayas was beginning to affect his business. To better secure himself and his trade, Ygua had his house built of sturdy brick and stone which were shipped from Amoy (along with the builders) by Chinese junks in two boatloads.

The original house was a two-storey structure constructed on an irregular shaped 2,000 square meter lot. It was located on the corner of what today is Archbishop Santiago Hayes (formerly Victoria) and Don Apolinar Velez (formerly Calle del Mar) streets, and extended all the way to Pabayo street.   

The house had a floor area of 600 square meters and was built of brick and stone. In addition, its posts, beams, floors, door, and window jambs were sourced from two large old Molave trees. Alternating planks of 1” x 8” Molave and Balayon wood were used for the floor, while the roof was also made of bricks and stone. (Sia, 2004).

In his account Sean Benson L. Sia claims the Casa del Chino Ygua was the first brick house in town, but according to Fr. Demetrio, it was the second ‘balay nga bato’ (house of stone) in Cagayan, as houses made of brick and stone (which were status symbols then as they are now) were then known.

“There were many houses of stone in old Cagayan, so we are not sure if the Sia house was the first. An old house in Burgos yielded 1800s adobe stones and bricks. In fact, nearby the Sia house, just across actually (the empty lot on the corner across it) used to be a big house of stone belonging to Consolacion Roa y Casas Abejuela,” Dr. Montalvan commented. “Barring any hard evidence, we should deviate from the qualifier first.”

The house is now not only the oldest surviving residence in Cagayan de Oro, but also holds an honored place in the country’s history.

The NHI marker installed on April 7, 2000 commemorates the Centennial of the Battle of Cagayan fought on the same date 100 yrs. before.
(photo courtesy of the Cagayan de Oro City Museum)

The NHI marker installed on its Hayes street side recounts how on January 10, 1899, patriotic Kagay-anons celebrated independence through a Fiesta Nacional as a sign of support for the Philippine revolutionary government headed by Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo.

LA LIBERTAD DE FILIPINAS. This reproduction of an extent photo of the Fiesta Nacional parade of January 10, 1899 which started from the Casa del Chino Ygua. Isidra Yamomo holds the new Philippine flag, her feet stepping on a broken chain. With her are two children, Conchita Fernandez (left) and Jose Velez (right). The original caption on this photo La Libertad de Filipinas, carroza sacada a procesion en la fiesta de la Independencia en Cagayan de Misamis en 10 de Enero 1899.
(Restored and enhanced by Ladysoda.PH)

They gathered in front of Ygua’s house, marched around the poblacion playing music, made speeches at the Casa Real (the governor’s residence), fired cannons and raised the Philippine Flag for only the second time in Mindanao. (Montalvan, 2002)

Battle of Cagayan de Misamis by Danny Pitario (courtesy of the Cagayan de City Oro Museum & Heritage Studies Center)

On April 7, 1900, Filipino revolucionarios of the Liber Troop led by Gen. Nicolas Capistrano attacked the American garrison of the 40th Infantry Regiment, U.S. Volunteers near present day Gaston Park in the Battle of Cagayan. However, they suffered many casualties (U.S. records show 52 Filipinos killed, Filipino archives say 200) and were eventually beaten back by the American’s superior firepower. (ibid.)

The first page of the record of an eight page interview of Sia Bon Suan dated 01 August 1970 found by his son Benjamin Sia and translated from the Traditional Chinese Script by Dr. Sean Benson Sia (courtesy of Dr. Benjamin Sia)

According to an interview with Sia Bon Suan dated August 1, 1970, some forty Filipino troops mistakenly attacked the Case del Chino Ygua for the other brick house in Cagayan owned by Eng Guan Hiok where the headquarters of the 40th Infantry US Volunteers was actually billeted (where the basketball court of the first Kong Hua School used to be located) and were all slain by the Americans. Their remains were buried at the backyard of the Casa del Chino Ygua (now the Grand City Hotel) and a temporary cockpit was located there so the dead would be appeased by the blood of the killed fighting cocks. Dr Benjamin Sia recalls during the 1970s they used to light candles in the area during  All Saints/All Souls Day. 

When Sia Ygua passed away in Manila, his businesses were left to his managers. In time, two of his sons and a daughter came to the Philippines. The daughter, Sia Hong Moi, married a Manileño and stayed in the capital. The sons, Sia Simeon Velez and Sia Tong Joo, came to Cagayan de Misamis and eventually took over his businesses. In 1936, Sia Simeon Velez and Sia Tong Joo divided the family property, and the brick house came into the possession of Sia Tong Joo.

Sia Tong Joo married Lu Oh O and had six children who stayed in Cagayan: three sons (Sia Bon Din, Sia Bon Suan and Sia Bon Hiok) and three daughters (Sia Pian Tin, Sia Chay Oan and Sia Chay Pin). They lived in the brick house, and even after the children had grown and had families of their own, the house remained as the center of family activities, being the venue for family gatherings and reunions during festivals like the Chinese New Year.

The shell of the heavily bombed St. Augustine Cathedral at the end of World War II. (Photo from the Fr. Miguel Bernad’s Archives)

The house suffered extensive damage during World War II. After the war, Sia Tong Joo renovated the house. Because of the shortage of materials, the roof had to be patched using nipa and the walls replaced by talisayan wood. Through these measures the house was given a semblance of its former appearance.

The first major renovation of the house was undertaken in 1948. The damaged bricks were replaced by cement while plywood and asbestos were used for the walls. The 1” x 8” planks were however so sturdy they remained intact.

Sia Tong Joo left for China in 1948, but his wife and children remained in Cagayan. Eventually, the son Sia Bon Din left and engaged in business in Talakag, Bukidnon and his other son Sia Bon Hiok left for Hong Kong. Meanwhile, his three daughters got married and moved out as well. The house thus eventually passed on to Sia Bon Suan.

Sia Bon Suan married Betty Lim Siok Oan, and had 13 children: six sons (William, Henry, John, Augustin, Benjamin and Peter) and seven daughters (Ana, Corazon, Mely, Mary, Helen, Teresita and Shirley). Sia Bon Suan and his wife passed away in 1981 and 1975, respectively, and in due time his properties were divided among his children. The brick house was passed on to his fifth son, Dr. Benjamin Sia.

Casa del Chino Ygua in 2023 (courtesy of Patrick Roque01)

The house was renovated for the second time in 1993 by Dr. Sia to how it looks today.

It has been  over a century and half since Sia Ygua came to the Philippines. His descendants have spanned five generations and have been completely assimilated into Philippine society. More than 200 descendants live all across the country, the majority of who remain in Cagayan de Oro.

*( although Igua is currently spelled with an “I”,  we have chosen to use “Y” for anthropological reasons; i.e, it was spelled as such during the Hispanic period: e.g. iglesia was spelled yglesia)

-30-

(Compiled from stories earlier published in Cagayan by Fr. Francisco Demetrio, S.J. on August 28, 1971; Cagayan de Oro Ethnohistory Reader by Antonio J. Montalvan II in 2004; and a manuscript transcribed by Dr Sean BensonL. Sia from Sia family records in December 17, 2004).

Benjamin Sia 佘明增, 4th Generation Descendant of Sia Ygua. He graduated from the University of the East. He is a member of the Philippines Association of Functional Jaw Orthopedics (TMJ Inc.) and the Orofacial Pain Association of the Philippines. He has undergone several post-graduate training courses at the American Dental Association, Equipoise Dental Institute, Mid-America Orthodontic Society, Asian-American Academy of Myofunctional Orthodontics & TMJ, International Association for Orthodontics, and more. He is the father of Dr. Sean Benson L. Sia.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.